Monday, May 5, 2008

Book Buy Back: Bullshit

When I bought my books at the beginning of the semester the $500+ checkout total didn’t bother me all that much, why you ask? Because everyone in the bookstore assured me that I would get a large part of that money back at the end of the semester when I sold the books back. Well I’m writing this now to tell you that the bookstore employees were full of shit. I took my books to the Off Campus Bookstore this morning looking to thicken my bill fold you know get a little spending money for the first few weeks of summer. But after they scanned my books, six total, they informed me that they would pay me $68.50 for the books. That’s barely 12 percent of the original cost. Needless to say I kept the books, I would rather hold on to them than let the bookstore buy them from me and then put on a 300 percent markup and sell them to next year’s freshman. I have no problem getting only $68 for my books but if I do I want to sell them to someone I know and not some company who's taking advantage of a lack of competition.

2 comments:

Blogging for Dummies said...

Yeah the have a really good racket going. I sold 4 books and got $36. I really needed the gas money though so I had to take it.

Evan said...

I paid 700$ for books and got back 40$. I almost called the cops.